April 30, 2013

Three for 3

I have run 3 official half marathons in less than 12 months.  Each race I've improved my time.  I'm still as slow as a turtle, but I also have been running consistently for only 15 months so I give myself permission to suck at speed.

I flew to DC to run the inaugural Nike DC Women's Half Marathon.  It was a gorgeous morning, the effects of Boston's Marathon only 13 days prior were still fresh on our minds.  The crowds were amazing.  The spectators helped provide inspiration along the way.  My family was there to support me.

I run with Team In Training which is a division of the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.  I lost my best friend 9 years ago today to Non-Hodgkins (a blood cancer) and run in her memory.  All the training, fundraising, running injuries were worth it to honor her.

I say this after each race and I mean it, "I'll keep running as long as I have the ability to place one foot in front of the other."

 Via




5 comments:

  1. Congratulations on completing your runs! Though not at present, I have been part of the running community in the past and it is such a lovely connected positive community.

    I think it's beautiful that you run for a cause - you are contributing to something meaningful and that extra motivation never hurts during the last couple of miles :)

    www.nowherelife.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm proud of you, monkey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on your marathons. I did a 15K a few months ago and I think a half-Mary is as high as I would go. I'm impressed that you've done 3 in less than 12 months. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a family member recently diagnosed with non-Hodgkins lymphoma. I'm still processing. Since the diagnosis, I've seen ads and posters everywhere for Team in Training. If anything could get me to start running, it might be this. Good for you for honoring your friend's memory. God wiling I will be running with my family the time next year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's great! Congrats!
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete